Wednesday, November 17, 2010

5.

Monday we went to Marlene's room to listen to the lecture with the architecture students because it was "Interior Design Week."  Barbara Klinkhammer (sp?) spoke on lighting. She covered a LOT of information.  Lighting is a very technical field, with many small things you can do to get very large effects.  She talked about how the type of light/ light source affected the visual appearance of an interior space.  Had we had a little more time to covered such an amount of material, it probably would've been quite interesting.

On Wednesday, Avigail (sp?) talked to us about a little of the history/theory of interior design.  I found this lecture to be quite interesting because I love history in general and seeing a progression through time.  She mainly talked about Mies van der Rohe (Modernism) and Robert Venturi (Post-Modernism).  This lecture gave me a better appreciation because beforehand, I found his clean, straight lined designs to be rather boring.  Now I have a better understanding of where he was coming from when he was designing, and perhaps what he was trying to accomplish, and it's really a neat thought process.  I found Venturi to be interesting just the same if only because he is so different from van der Rohe.  They were both trying to accomplish different things and I think there is room both ideas.  Venturi's approach to learning or trying new things I thought was neat. (i.e. the visit to Vegas)

No comments:

Post a Comment